I have been working on refining the fit I need for shorts/pants. Shorts seem like a better place to start since they use less fabric, right? I'd love to have more shorts for summer. However, I need the fit to be just right so that they are comfortable for a lot of walking and bike riding.
Endeavor pattern from Cake last summer. I like the style and the idea that the pants are drafted to accommodate different hip/waist ratios.
I made the size 40 with the size 28 waist. The fit of my first muslin was closer than most other shorts I've tried, other than the red Chataigne shorts that worked out well (the top is from that post, too). I did have to smooth out the high hip curve significantly, add 1.5" to the back inseam at the crotch, and added 5." flare to the center front piece at the seam at the center of the leg. I also hemmed them right up to the bottom of the pocket.
This is a wearable muslin of those changes with some navy blue cotton from my stash. It's not super heavy but heavier than quilting cotton. It really worked well for these shorts.
They are mostly perfect. However, you can see below that with some movement, they eventually have the same problem that I've encountered with my other attempts at shorts -- they shift to the back and give me awkward creases at the front.