I made a Felicity Dress by Jennifer Lauren Vintage. It's actually the second version I've made of this pattern. I just happened to get some quick photos when I went to a Pacific Northwest Ballet studio rehearsal with my dad.
I used a polyester peachskin from my stash. I don't know how a synthetic snuck in there, but I love the print, and I didn't feel too precious about it if the dress didn't come out well. Ahhh, stash...
I've realized a clear pattern in my acquisition of crafting supplies. Back when I first started to knit, I got very excited. I loved to envision beautiful projects, and then I'd get started with the first step -- buying supplies. Then I'd get nervous. I'd feel that I didn't have the skills to accomplish my vision, that I'd be wasting the lovely materials and creating garbage. So... I'd buy a different yarn to use. And repeat. I know, it's so silly! It's especially silly with knitting because you can always frog and reuse the yarn. Now I'm finally at a place in my knitting life where I can make anything I envision. It feels great, and I'm working through the huge stash I've acquired.
I'm looking forward to achieving the same proficiency and confidence in my sewing. See the fit on the Felicity bodice? Yay! I'm really happy with the FBA adjustment from Jennifer Lauren's blog.
This long-stashed poly was actually very easy to work with once I starched the heck out of it. I rely on this trick frequently to give me confidence with slippery fabrics. It's trimmed with store-bought bias tape.
|Terrible picture, but it's the only one that showed the whole dress.|
I made a few changes to this version of Felicity. I lowered the neckline after my first muslin by cutting it and transferring the new line to my pattern pieces. I cut the bodice on the bias to play with the stripes, and I used a gathered rectangle for the skirt. You can't tell, but I included in-seam pockets. I love cutout backs, so I made a simple modification to the back bodice. I'm really happy with how my idea turned out!
I'm sorry these photos are so crappy, blurry, and unflattering... I don't have a real camera. It's a serious deterrent to my blogging efforts. But I like the idea of blogging, so here you go.
I wore Felicity with my newly finished Acer cardi. This is another item from materials I've had for a long time, both the yarn and the pattern. I used the lovely Jo Sharp Silkroad DK Tweed, a blend of 85% wool/10% silk/5% cashmere. I made my usual modifications to fit me and to knit it seamlessly. This is the most cropped cardigan I've made, ending right at my waist. I really like it, and it used hardly any yarn.