I made another Myrtle dress, this time in a plain, black, rayon jersey from JoAnn's. I have to admit, though I love prints and color, that this dress is easy to wear a lot. I wanted to try slimming down the bodice and an idea I had for the back. I re-traced the pattern in the smallest size and compared it to my "sexy fit" T block, example here. I left it with a bit more room than the T for some blousey effect. I wish I'd added length to the skirt, though I did cut the skirt at the length for the largest size.
|This shot is the build-up... I'm turning... Wait for it...|
Here's the back. Ok, I know it's hard to see in the black from a distance. I fixed something that I didn't like in the original and added a cut-out, which I love.
I didn't like how the back neck and armholes are just turned and hemmed. I found that difficult to do nicely. My solution was to use two back pieces that overlap from the armholes up. Then below the arm holes each piece is cut on a diagonal to the waist. All the edges are then enclosed nicely except for the two straight edges of the diagonal, which are easy to hem or finish with a band. It leaves a little peep of low back and adds some ventilation for hot summer days. I love this simple hack and plan to make several more Myrtles like this.
And... I'm a Tiger. This one's for you, Kurt.