Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Shifting

In the past year or two I've been seeing the trendy silhouette shift to a looser shape.  Many sewing bloggers have made beautiful, loose dresses that look lovely on them, 1, 2, 3, 4 to point out a few.  In particular, the Flutter dress from Papercut captured my imagination.  Here are some inspiring examples:  1, 2, 3

This is not that pattern.  I'm not sure this trend is for me, much as I'd like it to be.  A shapeless sack drapes elegantly on a slender figure, or, specifically, a figure that is slender on top.  Can it work for us well endowed ladies?  Only one way to find out...


 I decided to ease in slowly.  I lengthened my basic sloper, played with the neck and shoulder line, and... left out the waist darts front and back.  Whoa!  This is my wearable muslin made in a rayon challis from eBay.  I finished the neck and armholes with store-bought black bias tape. 
It came out to be very wearable.  It needs a belt only because I was sloppy about putting in the side-seam pockets and skipped the stay tape, so the pockets pouch strangely around the hip.  I can shimmy in and out without a closure, so it's a quick sew.  Verdict on the sack?  To be investigated further...

No comments: